Saturday, May 17, 2008

Best description of a Russian tour I've ever read

Steve Kershaw, British bass player and Greek mythology scholar, writes about his Russian tour (April, 2008.) Marvellous.

"...[we] take some critical comment ('I really like the music, but it would sound much better with a trumpet instead' – why do the drunkest people always know best?), and, once Nick had extracted himself from the adoring pale-skinned, almond-eyed beauties and I'd made my escape from a hairy, malodorous, red-faced alcoholic, we enjoy a vodka-fuelled afterparty in Petter's hotel room after tramping the streets of the city for an hour in a vain search for an open bar."

BTW Leonid Vintskevich, the piano player, and Steve did a really good job -- I mean their new CD, "Songs From The Black Earth" (Flat Five, 2008.) 50.000 copies sold in Russia (well, there's a trick: technically, in Russia it was not a standalone release, but a supplement to a popular magazine, Avtozvuk a.k.a. The Auto Sound.) We're running Vintskevich/Kershaw quartet on the cover of the next Jazz.Ru issue.
The current issue, #3'2008, is in stores right now, and its cover features Russian big band tycoon Anatoly Kroll -- he turned 65 this April:
MAGAZINE COVER - click to enlarge

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A funny guy, this Kershaw. He wrote a book on Greek Mythology, did he?

Cyril Moshkow said...

Yes he did Punditto. A popular guide to Greek Mythology for grownups, to be exact.

Anonymous said...

I'm a Brazilian Singer/Songwrtier and I would be soooooo pleased to have your impressions of my new album.
It's a tribute to one of Brazilian's most respected songwriters of all times, Angenor de Oliveira "Mestre Cartola".

The album is called FALABELLA DE CARTOLA 100 ANOS, in honor to his 100 years's celebration. He passed in 1980, but left uma ''legiĆ£o'' of singers and songwriters inspired by his music/lyrics.
Please, let me know if I can send it to You / Where to.
I'm trying to book a couple of jazz festivals in Europe in 2009.
I trully appreciate your attention.

Vanessa Falabella
Skype: falabellavoice
www.myspace.com/vanessafalabella